Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Making Tracks For Celiacs


My husband, sister and I ran a 5k on Sunday, Making Tracks for Celiacs at the University of Maryland Baltimore Campus. WOW was I surprised at the turn out-- there was over 900 runners!  

Making Tracks for Celiacs is an annual fundraising event, which is organized and managed by the Center for Celiac Research at Mass General. This is their 12th year and they have raised almost $2,000,000 to date. The funds raised are used to increase awareness and support research as well as national and local celiac projects.  

This was my very first Celiac Disease event. I was incredibly touched to see so many people supporting Celiac Disease. It was hard to see so many little kids with Celiac Disease but also great to see how involved their family and friends were. A lot of the runners had created teams with cleaver G-Free t-shirts such as: No Grain, No Pain! 

The runners in the front got a little off course so our 3.1 mile race ended up being closer to 4 miles but we were fine, finishing at 38 minutes!  It is definitely something I would love to do yearly and maybe create my own team next year; I was thinking Team Aunt Addie? (Aunt Addie is what my niece and nephews call me) 

After the race there was a gluten free vendor fair and we got to sample some great gluten free products! We tried everything from GF Oreos, pretzels, bagels, cookies, brownies, and even beer! It was nice to see a few local restaurants there supporting celiac disease by displaying their gluten free menu. Roy’s restaurant definitely caught my attention with their gluten free menu and samples of their chocolate lava cake brownie which was delicious! Now I will definitely have to have a date night there with Brandon! 

I was really excited to find samples of a product called GoPicnic; ready to go gluten free meals! They were giving away boxes of them and I was able to grab one of each meal. I think this would be perfect for the airport and traveling! I have not had a chance to try them yet but they had 5 different options from black bean dip to turkey sausage. Each "picnic" came with a complete meal including a dessert! Now let’s just hope that they actually taste good!  

I purchased gluten free labels, signs, and stickers to use in the kitchen! These will be great for labeling gluten free dips and side dishes at parties! I will give them a try this weekend at our Memorial Day party! I will post pictures after the party!

 
 
It was a great morning and it meant a lot to me to have my husband and sister there to support me and Celiac Disease research!

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment